Sunday, October 12, 2014

Race Report: Skyline to the Sea 50K

"If I can't hike it, then why not run it!" This was my race motivation....

Skyline to the Sea trail begins from the top of Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. I've always wanted to hike the 29.5 mi (47.5 km) trail, but to do a return trip, that's a multi-day trip, or to do a one-way trip, it would require way too much time to sort out the car logistics. In a trail race, the race organizer would provide the one-way bus shuttle and I could check ultra-marathon off the bucket list. 

There are two Skyline to the Sea trail races: one called the Big Basin 50k in July, and this one in October is the "original" Skyline to the Sea trail run presented by PCTrailRuns. Both races follow the exact same routes, but I would assume that the weather is more pleasant for running later in the year.



Saratoga Gap to Waterman Gap (10.5 km; +455 ft; -1,710 ft)
The trail narrows quickly on a downhill, so I was pleased that I had position myself at the start correctly. Not too forward and get trampled by faster runners, but also not too far back and get stuck behind by slower runners. Although there are many more miles to go, this first section of the trail is very runnable, so I was glad to be able to just enjoy an easy pace without being rushed or held back.

One thing that I had not anticipated was with many runners ahead, dust was being kicked up everywhere making it hard to see and even harder to breathe. I almost wished that I had my Buff to prevent breathing in all that dust. Next time, I would also wear some gaiters to keep the pebbles from getting into the shoes.

Being more of a road runner than trail runner, I was amazed at all the selections at the aids stations. It was near impossible to pull myself from the first aids station at Waterman Gap, but now it's not the time to waste too much time.


Waterman Gap to China Grade (7.4 km; +1,015 ft; -280 ft)
This section was the first of many climbs of the day. Karen, Steph, Jen, and I did a recon of this section and the next part of the course a few weeks ago, so I knew what to expect. By now the racers have all spread out and grouped together by similar paces. I found it easy to just follow the runners in front and enjoy the early part of the run when my legs weren't hurting and my mind weren't screaming (yet).

China Grade to Gazos Creek (7.5 km; +175 ft; -1,100 ft)
This section was mostly downhill, but was technical with exposed rocks. I didn't want to fall and risk twisting an ankle, so I took my time through the trickier parts. I was also familiar with this section of the trail from our recon a few weeks ago, so I had a good idea how far I was to the next aids station, which was also approximately the halfway point.



Gazos Creek Loop (7.2 km; +615 ft; -770 ft)
I arrived into the aids station at Gazos Creek, and I couldn't believe Karen was waiting there! What an incredible surprise! It's a real long drive from Marin all the way to the Santa Cruz Mountains! I was even happier that she was going to run the Gazos Creek Loop with me!

Gazos Creek Loop is what differentiate the 50km from the marathon. I realized very late in the training that this extra loop was very hilly. We started on a fire road and turned off onto a trail that just kept going up and up. The climb was so steep that I didn't even think it would have been possible to run it if I haven't already ran 25 km. I hiked most of the uphill, and then followed Karen on the downhill. I was almost sad that the loop had came to an end and she would have to leave.

Before she left, she risked her life to get me some food. Not exaggerating at all! By the time we rolled around to the same aids station at Gazos Creek, the bees have found all the delicious treats and they were helping themselves to it. I tried to reach in for some fuel, but gave up. I don't think I was thinking clearly when I said that I'll just skip it and wait until the next aids station. Luckily, Karen saved the day by fighting the bees and got me some food. Thanks, Karen!!!


Gazos Creek to Twin Redwoods (13.8 km; +555 ft; -1,645 ft)
On my own again, this section is the longest until the next aids station. Hence, it was mission critical that I had fueled up at the last aids station. I had hiked this section with Cory and Jenny before, so again I was back on familiar trail. Although it was net downhill, any uphill, small or large, felt like climbing a mountain. The trail was busier with day hikers, but they must have seen all the runners on the trail that they were ready to kindly step aside and let us through.

I thought I was going crazy when I heard live music blasting through the redwoods. I had no idea what concert it was, but the music was rock and roll, the band was playing on a little wooden platform, and there were plenty of audience. I wished I could have just stopped and enjoyed the music too.

By now I have exceeded my longest run ever, and on my way to my first ultra-marathon!


Twin Redwoods to the Finish (2.9km; +30 ft; -75ft)
The last stretch was the hardest mentally because there was still another climb before the final descent down to the Pacific Ocean. I haven't seen any other runners for awhile, so was glad to see a couple runners up ahead. We encouraged each other on. I heard cheering but knew that the trail was still winding, so close but no cigar. When one of the race staff said "Almost there!", I didn't want to get my hopes up because "objects are farther than they appear."

Overall (7:39:28 & 15/22 F30-39)
7 hours 39 minutes 28 seconds later, I crossed the finish line happy but absolutely drained of any energy to show the happiness.

I had opted out of the race t-shirt when I was registering online because I didn't need another t-shirt, but boy was I glad that the lady insisted that I take one in exchange for signing up for future races and bringing friends. Why didn't I think that I would want something to remember my first ultra-marathon?

If you were ever going to do just one ultra-marathon, I would highly recommend running the Skyline to the Sea 50K. While the course was challenging with several climbs, the fact that it is net downhill makes it do-able, physically and mentally. And the gorgeous scenery and the varied terrain make the run enjoyable and worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment