Monday, October 27, 2014

Top 3 pre-trip things that caught me off guard

Sheer quantity of work: 
This one easily ranked as #1, the most prominent one on my mind, because I've barely slept in the last couple weeks trying to get work done. Leading up to the trip, though I had anticipated that there would be more work because it always take more time to train someone else to do our work than just do it ourselves, but what I didn't really prepare for was the sheer quantity of documentation, training and contingency planning. 

The one survival tactic I had to employ during this hectic period is the 80/20 rule. Here's an article that does a good job of summarizing how to apply the 80/20 rule at work: http://www.askmen.com/money/career_300/338_applying-the-8020-rule-at-work.html

Packing skills are intentional, not genetic:
The 1-bag rule, or at the maximum, carry-ons (at most airports, this is 1+1). The smaller the bag, the less you'll pack. Rick Steves offers some good tips on Packing Smart and Travelling Light. https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart

After packing everything, unpack everything. Examine each item carefully and ask these questions before packing it: Is it necessary? Will I use it frequently? And to take it one step further, does the item offer versatility and multi-functionality?

Due to multiple activities and destinations of my trip, I had to pack and unpack three times before everything fit in my carry-on backpack. 

Be prepared for the unexpected: 
When the one week countdown started, I had planned out every minute on my schedule: work until late (lucky if I leave the office before midnight), pack when I can, and throw a micro party while watching the World Series. Little did I know that my knee pit (aka the back of the knee) pain was concerning enough for my primary doctor to send me running around to see the sports doctor/orthopedics, and get an ultrasound as well as a MRI. I'm happy to report that the test result was good (i.e. no blood clot and no meniscus tear) and I got the ok to go on my trip. 

Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment