Saturday, January 7, 2017

Chicago Marathon Week #3: Swim, Bike, Run

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Triathlete: n. A person who doesn't understand that one sport is hard enough."



THE STORY
I moved to San Francisco in the summer of 2006. I heard about this place called Napa Valley and I saw that there was an event by the lake. It was a sprint triathlon, which at the time I had to look up that it entailed a swim, followed by a bike ride, and finished with a run. I didn't know how to swim, but I figured that I've been to the beach and survived. I didn't own a bike, so I mail ordered a bike that costed more to have a local bike shop assemble it than the price of the bike. I ran a 5K for the first time earlier in the year, and although I had to walk part of the way, I finished. To say the least, I had no idea what I was in for!



The start of my triathlon career was literally a shock to me. The water was shockingly cold! Less than a minute after I jumped in the lake with a rented wetsuit, I was hyperventilating and grabbing at a kayak. The volunteer firmly said to me, "Slow your breathing down. Don't sink my kayak. Take this life jacket." I dog paddled, side stroked, and floated on my back with the life jacket to the swim finish. There was only one bike left in the transition area and it was mine!


I hopped on my purple bike, and pedaled, and pedaled, and pedaled. I was utterly confused why bystanders were cheering for me because I was literally dead last. I later learned that they were called spectators. For a moment, I thought I could catch up to one racer ahead, but as we started climbing up a hill, the gap between us widened. I also later learned that my bike is a mountain bike, and it was no match for a road bike on the road. Once I reached the turnaround, I thought the suffering would end as the uphill would soon become downhill. Who knew I was more scared of the going fast downhill than climbing uphill?

I didn't understand that one sport is hard enough until I started the run portion of the race. All I could do was put one foot in front of another at whatever speed I could mustered. Little did I know that this was the same strategy I used to complete the marathon portion of Ironman Canada four years later. "Just go forward!"


Triathlon is a lifestyle that I've since embraced. For no other reason other than this is what I know what to do, so for training this week, I jumped in the pool, biked on the trainer, and ran. 


Week #3

Monday: Swim. 3 x (100, 200) + 30". I spent half an hour searching for my swim goggles, and the strap broke just when I was about to enter the pool. After I successfully tied the straps with a knot, I realized that I forgot all my swim toys. That wasn't the worst part. The worst part is realizing how hard and slow it is to swim again after such a long time off. On the bright side, the next swim session should be better than this swim session.

Tuesday: Bike. 15 x (1' + 1'). I spent the whole morning searching for my multi-tool kit to put the seat and the bars on, but to no avail. I had to go out and buy a replacement tool. After I unsuccessfully put together the bike, I also unsuccessfully synced up the trainer. Soon it was going to be midnight before I even rode my bike, so I just hopped on for a quick spin.

Wednesday: Swim. Sudden onset of sickness :-(

Thursday: Run 20 min easy with quick cadence.

Friday: Bike. FTP Test. I've sorta' figured out how to sync the trainer to the watch, but I forgot to turn on the watch. I've also tried to add Zwift to the picture, but it was definitely not set up right. I couldn't pedal at all even in the easiest gear in erg mode. Failed it!

Saturday: Rock Climbing.

Staff: "Have you rock climbed here before?"
Me: "Yes, when the gym used to be on Broadway."
Staff: "That's a long time ago."
Me: "Yes, probably before you were born."
Staff: "You're probably right." 

Run 30 min easy with quick cadence. 

Swim 6 x 50 + 500 TT. I'm experiencing culture shock. To replace my swim goggles, I went to the mega sports store, MEC, that's supposed to have everything, just like I would in SF go to either Sports Basement or REI. Sadly, there was only one goggle with scratched lens left in the whole store. I had to think whether there were some for sale at the pool. Indeed, there was a small collection, but came with a strict no return or exchanges policy. How odd for such an active city!

Sunday: Ski. 

Weekly Review: Got two runs in this week, which is two more than last week. I spent more time getting ready for swim and bike than actually running. Getting my sh!t together!

No comments:

Post a Comment