Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Everest Base Camp, The Finale

I can't believe it's been a week since we've been home. Only a week ago, we were just wandering the streets of Kathmandu trying to figure out whether we could get home a day earlier because typically tours will leave an extra day at the end just in case our flight from Lukla back to Kathmandu is delayed due to unpredictable weather. I suppose I should finish up my EBC post before my memory fades, or before my next adventure starts (foreshadowing? where?!? what?!?) :-)

Best of EBC continued: 

5. Flying into and out of Lukla airport is an adventure sport itself. 


First, we were just awestruck by the amazing views of the Himalayas mountains throughout the whole 25 minutes of flight time. Then, as the plane approached the runway (that is at an incline) at Lukla, for a split second, I really thought we were going to hit the wall at the end of the shortest runway ever! At the last possible second, the plane slowed down just enough to turn away from the wall and into the smallest airport ever! 

We watched several flights go in and out. After the first plane departed, we all exclaimed, "did you see the wheels of the plane brushed past the grass just at the end of the runway?" Then when it was our turn to say goodbye to Lukla, we got to experience what it was like to speed down the downward-sloping runway. It was exactly like a roller coaster ride when the roller coaster drops sharply downwards and so does your stomach, and then within seconds the plane pulls up quickly at the end of the runway and so does your stomach. Whew, what a ride!

4. Having the best team of sherpas, porters and cooks on the trek. 

There were 22 staff for 15 trekkers. That's a ratio of 1.5 for every one of us. As Trey, one of the trekkers, puts it best: "we are very fortunate to have the A team!" They felt like a family extension of our group, always on top of everything and even anticipating our every needs, while they were having fun with us, especially when it comes to card games, getting competitive with us. 

The A Team

I met a few other travelers, some from another group and some trekking solo, and one of the main complaints from the other travelers is the lack of food variety at this high of an altitude. Meanwhile our chef was making us the most delicious cuisine every night. We got an apple pie, Christmas cake and a New Year cake, all made without a stove!

Apple pie made in a pressure cooker


A special "Merrey" Christmas


Happy 2015! To another adventurous year!

3. The group of 15 trekkers. 

I think we were so lucky to have a full group. In a way, we all self-selected ourselves to be on this trek, so we all already had that in common. Plus if we were all going to be stuck with each other, feeling tired, unbathed and altitud-y, then might as well have fun meeting people from all walks of life!

My fondest memory is when Alex, who is the sweetest and most brilliant sophomore girl, said to me as we were parting ways, "when I grow up, I wish I could be just like you." I think I was glowing the whole day!

 

2. Jokes that won't translate once we get home. 

I'll always remember laughing so hard that I couldn't gasp enough oxygen at high altitude.

"Miro. Rato. Haze."
"1100. Ok, tell you what, I give you a good deal, one thousand and one hundred."
"1500. No, for you 3500."
"Are you going to make some more in the back?"
"The yak bell is pretty like her!"
"Downstairs is here."
"New man? Do you feel like a new man?"
"Oh no!" "What is it? Is it the dog? Is it a zokyo?" "No, it's Santa Claus."
"Meeerry Christmas" in Santo's voice
"More dude!"
"That kid doesn't have any friends. Just a zokyo is his only friend."
"And when you rim it like this..."
"First you gotta put some hays down for the yaks (and the cows)"
"You just prove my point. You're being supportive and you don't even know her."
"I went to public school."
"Watch out for what's coming in the Dropbox."
"Pokhara is just like the Interlaken of Nepal." 
"Sherpa flat."
"I've never drank so much tea in my life! Oh no wait...."



1. The best sabbatical ever!

I look back at my notes and it feels like not that long ago I couldn't decide where to go and what to do, and now in a blink of an eye, I'm at the end of this sabbatical! 

In these last few days, I definitely had a hard time adjusting being back home. My super smart PhD, published and accomplished friend, Alli, made a good point the other day that it's interesting that I feel very much myself and at ease while I'm on the road whereas most people are comfortable at home and feel anxious abroad. We didn't have a chance to fully psychoanalyze me but the one thing that I came away with from this adventure that kinda surprised me is that my first weekend home was filled with friends and loads of catching up, so it dawned on me that perhaps, maybe, just maybe, this alien (me) does belong here in SF (?)....

As with every travel adventure, there were inevitably highs and lows, but sometimes when things happen unexpectedly is what makes good travel stories. I could write a whole chapter on travel bloopers.. or just another year full of adventures!


Until next time, OM MANI PADME HUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment