Thursday, January 8, 2015

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from Everest Base Camp!

I'm home now... I suppose my blog wouldn't be complete without the Everest Base Camp chapter, but really my mind is racing with thoughts and replaying this incredible journey that I'm having trouble forming full sentences, so here's my best attempt at capturing an amazing trek to Everest Base Camp!

Best of EBC:

#10. Trekking to base camp was so hard and altitud-y which makes it that much more sweeter of an accomplishment.

17,600 Feet!

If reaching base camp is #10 on the best top ten list, then what could possibly be better than trekking to EBC on an EBC trek? That is because the journey there was so much bigger than just that one moment.

Here's an excerpt from my journal two days prior to the Everest Base Camp day:
(I can't believe I'm actually going to share something private. This is why you never write when you're not thinking clearly, but anyway, here goes)

"A different Christmas and New Year than any other. Not Taiwan, not Whistler or any other ski resorts, not France or Italy or anywhere in Europe. Not the familiar grounds. This year I'm chasing a different dream. Climbing Everest was never an item on a check list for me. In fact, it wasn't even on the original itinerary when I first started planning my sabbatical, but it just fell into place for whatever reason. It was more the process, the experience, the journey that I wanted when I signed up for the trek.  I wonder if the goal when achieved will be just like Ironman Canada, a small moment in time surrounded by something much bigger."

We made it!

The answer to the last sentence is YES. It was truly a small yet magical moment in time surrounded by something much bigger!

#9. Not climbing to the summit of Kala Patthar. 

How can not reaching a goal be better than reaching base camp? Trust me, there were moments when I was gutted that I couldn't make it because of AMS, but once I quickly accepted that I probably would have put my health in jeopardy, and even more so being a burden to others in the group, all I feel is this genuine happiness and pride for everyone else in the group who kicked ars and made it to the top of Kala Patthar.

The Kala Patthar crew!

#8. My own tent or teahouse room.

Paying $31 instead of prepaying $500 for a partial single supplement. I can't help it! I love a good deal! And if Cory is reading this, she can assure you how much I love free or cheap single supplements when we travel!

#7. Post-trek spa!

Paying $48.50 for 4 hours of post-trek spa at Heritage Spa, an oasis tucked away in the middle of the busy city of Kathmandu. Love another good deal! The hour-long pedicure was heavenly after 14 days of hiking. The hour-long body scrub was even more decadent, followed by a massage and a facial. And as if this wasn't enough pampering, we went back for 90 more minutes of massage the next day at Seeing Hands, a unique massage experience from professionally-trained visually impaired massage therapists.

#6. Stupa time in the afternoon. 

A stupa is a mound-like or hemispherical structure containing Buddhist relics, typically the ashes of Buddhist monks, used by Buddhists as a place of meditation.

2nd most favourite stupa spot

On most days our trek finishes with a couple hours of daylight left. Before the sun dips behind the mountain when the warm air instantly dissipates into frigid cold evening, this is the perfect time to find a stupa or a good sun spot to read a book, write in the journal, meditate, take a nap (just as long as you don't drool on your stupa buddy), or just be completely in awe of the majestic Himalayas mountains!

Ama Dablam

To be continued... such suspense... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment