Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Costa Rica Chapter

I've been meaning to write another blog post about the rest of my stay in Costa Rica, but for the past month since I've left Nosara, I couldn't put words to paper because
1. I'm typing and not writing, and
2. There is just no way to describe my experience fully without missing something.

So, I've procrastinated! 

Without further ado, or more excuses, let me dispel three myths that people have been asking me recently about my Yoga Teacher Training in Costa Rica.



Myth #1: You must be super flexible and do crazy balancing poses!

Honestly, sometimes I can barely touch my toes. Usually early in the mornings, I'm less flexible, and by evenings, my flexibility improves as the body warms up. Has my flexibility improved? Probably a little, but one thing I've learned is that when it comes to yoga, it doesn't matter if you're "flexible". What matters is that you show up, breathe, and do your best with a clear intention. And this doesn't just apply on the mat. Just imagine how your everyday would be different if all you gotta do is show up, breathe, and do your best with a clear intention.



Myth #2:  You must be all spiritual and sh*t!

I'm no guru. In fact, I'm still the same person as before. I still the same person who can't write the "i" in the word "sh*t". I've always been curious about the spiritual side of yoga. I figure If I can't be all flexible and sh*t, then I might as well get really good at meditation and mindfulness. Joking aside, I have discovered a whole new level of consciousness.

A few years ago, I randomly picked up the book in a hurry at an airport right before boarding a long flight. The book was "The Untethered Soul, The Journey Beyond Yourself" by Michael A. Singer. I expected the book to tell me who I am or change my life. It didn't. I just didn't get it. Then I saw the book on the shelf at the Nosara Yoga Institute and I decided to read it again as we were on a "Inner Quest" training. This time around, I get it. In fact, I already know who I am all along because the answer is within ourselves. All we need is the ability to consciously observe ourselves and the world around us. 



Myth #3: You must be all relaxed living on the beach!

This myth is probably the farthest from the truth. Not only our bodies are challenged by the 50-hour per week training in the heat, but also our minds and souls are tested to the limit. Making it to the beach everyday was near impossible! This Costa Rica chapter was never meant for me to be a break from the busy-ness (or business) of life. I intended it to be a significant and valuable step that connects my past, my present, and my future in this life's journey. Along the way, there were days that I was completely exhausted, but everything seems easier when I remind myself that all I gotta do is show up, breathe, and do my best with a clear intention!


No comments:

Post a Comment