Monday, July 25, 2016

Race Report: Whistler 70.3

If you're looking for race details that might be useful in race planning for the Whistler 70.3, you can find it here. Otherwise, this is just a rambling of my race day.  

Signing Up A Week Before The Race

 
I started this year in Whistler with a bang - literally - in a car accident on the Sea to Sky highway. Then my neck seized up so much so that I couldn't even turn my head to the right, yet I was in denial for a long time that the car accident had anything to do with it. A week after the car accident, I sprained my 2nd ankle, so now both my ankles have a sprain. The eternal hopeful in me still had hope that everything will heal in time for me to race Coeur d'Alene 70.3 with JP, KF and DG. Except June rolled around and I had just got back on my feet not long ago, so I showed up in Idaho as their cheerleader!


I got in a good training weekend at Coeur d'Alene: checked out part of the bike course on Saturday, rode up and down the race area trying to catch the racers multiple times on race day Sunday, and got in a good run around the gorgeous waterfront trail followed by some exploration of the Centennial Bike Trail on Monday. After spectating and being inspired, I started to pencil in Whistler 70.3 on my race calendar. The motivation to race was there, but the training hasn't come together yet. Finally, a week before Whistler 70.3, I decided to take a crack at it!


Swim (0:43:47)
The 140.6 racers started two hours ahead of the 70.3 racers, but because of road closure, all racers had to be there early. Our bus took a major detour, and we also slowed down to watch a bear on the side of the road. By the time the bus dropped us off, the pros were already swimming their second lap. I got to see Andy Potts came out of the swim in the lead (spoiler alert: he led the race from start to finish and won the race), and then I was really confused as to where were the female pros. Eventually I found out that IM Whistler was hosting the male pro race, meanwhile IM Lake Placid on the same day was hosting the female pro race.

After sending off the 140.6 age groupers, we still had loads of time to spare. I chatted with my new friend from the shuttle ride, ran into a few friends, and generally tried to stay off my feet.


I was calm, cool, and collected, as noted by my shuttle buddy (it was her first 70.3). We got in the water for a warm up swim.

Her: "The water is warm!"
Me: "Probably because all the 140.6 racers peed in it for us!"

Oops, I said that a bit too loud causing a few chuckles among the other racers.

I have been swimming consistently and was expecting another sub-40 minute performance, so I was a little disappointed with my swim time of almost 44 minutes. I think because I wasn't familiar with the swim course, I didn't pick the best line from the start to the first buoy. I started on the right side, and felt like I was fighting current on the way out. I also couldn't spot the buoys for most of the swim, so had to rely on other swimmers around me for direction and just hoped that they had picked a straight line. On the second half of the swim, I found some feet to hang on to. Although I wanted to pass the swimmer a few times, but every time I would try to go ahead, I would get dropped. I was better off staying on his feet and conserve some energy. Isn't it interesting that we can tell the gender of the swimmer by his or her feet?

T1 (0:04:03)
I made sure to avoid running into the wrong change tent this time like I did at the other Ironman Canada in Penticton.


Bike (3:27:52)
I had based my estimate for the bike time off Lake Tahoe 70.3 because I think the bike courses were similar in difficulties. Pacing well in this race was even more important because the monstrous Brockway climb at Lake Tahoe 70.3 was near the middle of the ride, whereas the monstrous climb out of Pemberton back to Whistler was at the very end of Whistler 70.3.


With the mix of 140.6 and 70.3 racers on the road, I had no idea where I was relative to the front or back of the race. Some racers were lightning fast and some racers appeared exhausted (likely from the Conzelman climb for the full course racers). The rolling hills would become congested on an uphill and thinned out on a downhill over and over again. Once back in the village, we started descending down to Pemberton. There were still some obstacles from the incomplete road construction making for one sketchy descent. I probably took it too conservative as many people passed me on this stretch, but better safe than sorry when it comes to cycling.

Once we reached the turnaround, it was the highly anticipated monstrous climb back to Whistler. During the climb, the lead racers from the full course were also finishing their ride. They raced past so fast that it made me look like I was moving backwards. As a mental strategy, I imagined I was riding the Seven Sisters at Mount Tam in California, except I think there were only five hills here and even the climb seemed easier than my previous practice ride here. Maybe someone moved one of the hills?

Nonetheless, I was happy to be back in the village. After a few fast twist and turn and a hop off a curb (crazy course design!?!), I pedaled into T2.

T2 (0:01:05)
T2, my favourite discipline of triathlon! Here, I nailed it with a 1 minute 5 seconds performance. I even had a brief pit stop waiting for the volunteers to find more sunscreen.


Run (2:19:26)
One lap for 70.3. Two laps for 140.6.
Last year, a momma bear and her cubs got too close to the run course and momentarily suspended the race. I would not want to be the slowest runner during a bear encounter!

I would say the hardest part of the run course is the first couple miles. Although the elevation chart showed a flat run, I overheard somewhere that the first couple miles have a few surprising hills. With all the hills, it took longer to get my running legs on. When I saw the first photographer, I decided to do a jump into the air against the beautiful backdrop of crystal blue lake and quaint wooden bridge. The photographer loved it. The runner I almost crashed into laughed. "Anything to get on the Ironman cam," he said.

We ended up running together for a couple miles. Step for step. Side by side. After awhile, I thought his breathing was too laboured so early in the run that I figured it might be better for him to run his own pace, but I held my tongue.

At mile 5, I turned my effort up a notch, and at mile 10, it was time for "whatever pace I've got left." I found another runner ahead going at a good pace, so I was determined to keep up with her. By mile 11, I was hurting a bit but was still mentally strong. By mile 12, I was hurting. I did everything I could to stay with my rabbit. At the last aids station, I was getting my hands on ALL. THE. COKE. My mental strength sank a bit when I saw my rabbit pulling away, but soon regained another level of strength after hearing Kendall's cheer. Half more mile to go. Quarter mile to go. I was elated to cross the finish line in 9th AG!


No comments:

Post a Comment