Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Perfect Travel Itinerary: Costa Rica


The weekend is here (oops, the post is a bit late but better late than never, right?) and it's time to explore beyond Montezuma. I hired an ATV. First I was only going to hire it for a day on Sunday but then I also got the Saturday evening for free. I think I got the sweet deal because of my indecisiveness on whether I want to pay the high season price when I think it's still really the shoulder season for another couple weeks but then it turns out that the price didn't actually go up so by the time I figure out what I think it's the fair price, the rental shop offered me the deal. Silence as a bargaining tool!

I didn't actually drive the four-wheeler. For whatever reason, I just didn't want to learn how to drive the ATV on super bumpy roads this weekend. All I wanted was a carefree weekend. So, I am very lucky and super grateful that Rachel drove me around on Saturday evening, and the next day Blue (a local) gave me a grand tour of all the local's secret spots.

Blue drove me all around the Nicoya Peninsula: Mal PaĆ­s, Santa Teresa, and Manzanillo. Remember how I said that Montezuma, on the eastern side of the peninsula, is perfect for sunrise. Well, these other towns that lined the western side of the peninsula are perfect for sunset. The towns are connected by the longest stretch of beaches I've ever seen. I got a video of us flying down the beach on the ATV but it's on my camera which I haven't figure out how to download the photos and videos so you'll just have to imagine it. 


Whenever I travel, I love researching travel itineraries prior to my trips and tailor my own itinerary based on my preferences. As my trip unfolds, I rewrite the itinerary in my mind based on my experiences and locals' recommendations, so if I could do it again for the first time (time machine) or if someone would like recommendations, I've got the perfect travel itinerary to share.

Here's a sample of my perfect travel itinerary if you ever visit Costa Rica:

Day 1: Arrive SJO and let the official orange taxi or hotel shuttle whisk you away to the resort, hotel or accommodation in the hillside of Alejuela. From here, this is the ideal launching pad for day trips to many of the country's attractions. Visit Arenal Vocano, a natural phenomenon that attracts thousands and thousands of tourists due to its beauty and magnificence with its lava flows, fire belching, and rolling smoking boulders. Relax in one of the hundreds of hot springs in this volcanic land before visiting a coffee farm. Satisfy your curiosity about the source of your morning cuppa while getting an introduction to Tico history and culture.

Day 2: Start the day filled with adrenaline (you can almost skip the coffee this morning) and experience the thrill of a zipline tour. Flying high above ground, you can marvel at the beauty of the nature of Monteverde. Afterwards, explore Monteverde further on foot in a nature walk. If time permits, a visit to the butterfly garden nearby.

Day 3: Today we will head towards the Nicoya Peninsula. On the way, thrill-seekers can enjoy whitewater rafting, or nature-lovers can hop on a nature cruise for wildlife spotting including alligators or crocodiles (I can never remember which one of the two it is). In the afternoon, take the ferry to the Nicoya Peninsula to your next home base. Each beach town has its own personality so choose one to your likings. Of course, my personal favorite is Montezuma, but if you like to follow the trend, then Santa Teresa is where it's at.

Day 4-6: Immerse yourself in the Pura Vida culture and enjoy all of the following activities in no particular order: surf, yoga, horseback riding, fishing, find your perfect beach spot in over 80 miles of beaches, jump off waterfalls, poi (fire dancing), more canopy zipline, snorkel at Tortuga Island, scuba diving, visit Kabuya cematary, volunteer at beach clean ups, eat at a Soda (name for local restaurant), or relax on a hammock.

Day 7: Return home after a week filled with sun, adventure, and nature in this forest-and-beach laden paradise.




No comments:

Post a Comment