Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Croatia Cycling: Day 2

Day 2: Risnjak National Park & Slovenia
Distance: 42.5km
Elev Gain: 571m


Itinerary Description

Risnjak National Park, located in Gorski Kotar, the most mountainous and heavily forested region of the country. Located just under 10 miles from the Adriatic Sea, the park includes the Risnjak and Snježnik ranges, as well as the source area of the Kupa River which is, beyond doubt, one of the most beautiful places in the area. The Kupa River forms a natural border between Croatia and Slovenia. It springs from a karstic well at the park's lowest point, forming a turquoise pond over 650 feet long and nearly 100 feet wide. This natural phenomenon is one of the deepest and strongest river sources in Croatia, and remains puzzling for scientists.

What I Will Really Remember

(1) Duck sex! WHAT?! While our guide was explaining the route of the day, we were distracted by these two ducks going at it. Can't really blame us for not listening to instructions! At first, they looked like they were fighting. One duck bit the other duck's neck. Then they were done before you even had a chance to get the camera out. Sorry folks, no photos or videos, but I'm sure you can google duck sex if you really wanted to see it, though I can't promise Croatian ducks do it the same way as other ducks. ;-P



(2) Crossing over the Čabranka River, a tributary of the Kupa, into Slovenia, and riding along the Slovenian bank of the Kupa River to Brod back into Croatia. With my passport in my bike jersey pocket, I realized how little I knew about this part of the world. In 2006, I had booked a weekend trip to Croatia. This was back when I was living in London. Something last minute came up and I never got to go. All I knew about Croatia is that it is across the Adriatic Sea across from the boot of Italy.


11 years later, I can't believe that I'm on a cycling tour in Croatia. It's hard to believe because I didn't know how to ride a bike yet back then. I'm glad that I get to see the country now properly and intimately on a bike for two weeks rather than just a rushed weekend. Things have a funny way of working out and going in full circle, eh! :-)

(3) It's hard to pick the top 3 things I will remember. There was the cold and rain, and we were all bundled up in our rain jacket.



There was the big giant statue in Slovenia.


And there were these sweetest, tiny, wild strawberries that we picked off the side of the road.

Cycling and food are the best combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment