Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Croatia Cycling: Day 3


Day 3: Northern Velebit National Park
Distance: 68.3km
Elev Gain: 931m

Bling! Got my first Croatian Strava trophy!

Itinerary Description

The Northern Velebit National Park's mountain chain rises 2,600' above sea level. We briefly explore Krasno village in the heart of the mountains before descending by bike to the Valley of Gacka River, world famous for excellent trout fishing. Our lunch stop is at the river's source, which is surrounded by numerous old wooden mills. From here, we continue cycling through the valley and into the area of Plitvice Lakes National Park. This evening we retire to the tiny village of Korana, located in a picture-postcard riverside setting near Plitvice Park.

What I Will Really Remember

(1) Croatians are coffee lovers too! It's always a good day when we start the ride at a coffee shop. Especially when the cappuccino costs ~$1. Best splurge of the day!


Cultural learning: Croatians take hand washing very seriously. I believe this sign tells us to always remove rings and bracelets before washing hands.




(2) Today was one of the longest riding days. After a demoralizing day 1 of walking the bike up a steep pitch (see Day 1), I was starting to find my biking legs. I felt like I've redeemed myself from the first day, and getting stronger by the day. The Northern Velebit National Park was gorgeous without many cars on the road. One guide told me to make the other guide work harder to chase me down. Challenge accepted! Loved pushing all. the. watts. and also then having enough time to stop for photos.


(3) Being chased by a dog. Almost running over the said dog. Yelling at the stupid dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment